Up, up and away! A place for comic-book fans to gather.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chained to the drawing table


I interviewed Kurt Busiek yesterday by phone. He’s the writer of “Trinity,” DC’s latest weekly series, which kicks off in June and centers on DC's Big Three, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. He’s writing the 12-page lead chapters and co-writing the 10-page “back chapters,” as he calls them.


I asked Busiek about Mark Bagley who, as the artist on the lead chapters, will be drawing the equivalent of two comic books, or even a bit more, each month. Many artists, of course, have trouble getting a monthly book out. Bagley, of course, is just downright speedy. But it’s also a matter of work ethic. Bagley has been on jury duty, Busiek said. And while most artists might use that as a reason for not making deadline, “Mark is saying, well, I don’t need to be in the courthouse until 10 a.m., so I can get some work done in the morning. And I can get some work done in the evening because I’m bored all day and I haven’t been able to draw.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Kurt Busiek said...

And just in case anyone's worried, trial's over, Mark's back at work and doing great pages.

6:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets just be direct, Mark Bagley is the only artist out there who isn't a slacker. ;-)

Comic Guy2

3:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home